What is Aircraft Maintenance Engineering (AME)
An aircraft maintenance engineer keeps and maintain aircraft (airplane / helicopter) in airworthy (fit to fly) condition through proper inspections, maintenance and repair. Aircraft Maintenance Engineers are licensed engineers must meet the some specific training and certification requirements mandate by Regulatory authority. In India Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) is the applicable regulatory authority to issue Aircraft Maintenance Engineering license to qualified applicants.
An Aircraft Maintenance Engineer is responsible for ensuring properly and safe operation of an aircraft. An AME may make modifications and repairs, troubleshoot problems, conduct inspections and maintenance on aircraft. Daily duties may include pre-flight inspections, records keeping, routine maintenance, defect rectification and certification on aircraft.
About Aircraft Maintenance Engineering Course
Aircraft Maintenance Engineering is a three (03) years certificate course conducted by various institutes/ colleges in India. Some institutes are also providing this certificate course as an AME diploma though the approval by Technical Board of State Governments.
- This is not an undergraduate course. You will not earn any degree or graduation level after completing this course.
- Some institutes/ colleges/ university are also awarding BSC in Aircraft Maintenance Engineering OR B-Tech in Aircraft Maintenance Engineering. It is suggested that please check approvals / accreditation of applicable authorities (UGC/ AICTE) before taking admission.
Minimum Qualification to Join Aircraft Maintenance Engineering Course
- For AME training course, the candidates shall have passed minimum 10+2 class with Mathematics, Physics, and Chemistry from a recognised board or university or its equivalent;
- The trainees shall be subjected to a medical examination before they are admitted to the training institute by a doctor possessing at least an MBBS degree. Candidates shall not have any physical disabilities or colour blindness, which may interfere in discharging the duties as an AME.
PERIOD OF TRAINING / COURSE
The period of training in the approved institute will be counted for the purpose of computing total aeronautical maintenance experience required for becoming eligible for appearing in the AME licence written examination conducted by DGCA.
The minimum duration of the training for various streams shall be as follows:
(a) (LA, PE, HA & JE) Mechanical stream – Aeroplane and Powerplant Three years including six months OJT
(b) (RA, JE & PE) Mechanical stream – Helicopter and Powerplant Three years including six months OJT
(c) (ES, IS & RN) Avionics stream- Three years including six months OJT
Aware About Streams Or Categories and Codes for thereof
Aircraft Maintenance Engineering course has following streams / categories-
- Heavy Airplane (HA)
- Jet Engine (JE)
- Light Airplane (LA)
- Piston Engine (PE or CP)
- Helicopter (RA or AHC)
- Electrical System (ES)
- Radio Navigation System (RN)
- Instrument System (IS)
Mandatory Approval of Aircraft Maintenance Engineering Institute or College
In India, Aircraft Maintenance Engineering course is a three (03) years course approved by Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA).
The institute must be approved by Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA), India. Please check the approval validity of institute.
How to check approval status
To check approval status one has to visit Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA), India website. You can visit here: http://dgca.nic.in/
Go to Licensing > AME School> Download the list of college> check the institute name >approval validity
If you are taking admission in institutes/ colleges outside of India, Please check the approval status from the applicable regulatory authority and societies exist there.
Beware of Fraudulent Advertisements
- There are lots of colleges / institutes / middlemen who are running fraudulent advertisements on various website, social media and also on paper media to provide 100 % job guarantee to students joining them. Please be aware that there is no such institute who can provide 100% job placements.
- Some institutes are also providing false information about the DGCA approval. Please check the DGCA approval status on http://dgca.nic.in/
- Please be aware that lots of institute asking for a huge amount to provide On Job Training to students. It is suggested that please make yourself sure about fees for the complete course.
False promise of job guarantee is a crime.
CHECK APPROVED COLLEGE / INSTITUTE: CLICK HERE